Gemma Louise Hirst
Online Portfolio: https://gemmahirst.journoportfolio.com/
I am a Journalism Graduate from the University of Sunderland (2.1), determined to gain and excel through a career in PR, Marketing and feature writing.
With a wealth of experience spanning across six years of journalism, I had a multitude of articles published in print and online, covering everything from community news to fashion and lifestyle.
I also have created my own blog, Gemma’s Journey, which I update regularly with tales from my path into journalism as well as some culture on the side.
I pride myself in attention to detail and know that the skills I have attained and developed during my journalism career thus far would make a positive impact to your company.
Marketing Cheshire – October-December 2017
I learnt new skills in marketing whilst developing my journalism skills to help create content for websites, social media pages and print.
- Created and Edited content for the blog and magazine.
- Using LinkedIn as a marketing tool for the Rooms To Breathe Campaign.
- Creating events and posts on the social media pages for their member- The National Waterways.
- I provided social media posts for their Chester Christmas Market pages.
- Editing Marketing Cheshire’s magazine The Ultimate Guide
- Using Traditional forms of marketing to promote the Chester Christmas Market
Leicester Mercury October 2016
I used my skills in journalism to put them into practice in a professional newsroom environment.
- I spoke to the public to find stories for the newspaper.
- Wrote articles for online and in print.
- Assisted and edit articles written by reporters.
- Gone to court to attain quotes for the court reporter.
Kettle Magazine July 2014- September 2016
I created content for a range of genres for a national student magazine called Kettle Magazine.
- I wrote at least 1 800 word article per month and submit 5 article suggestions each week.
- I edited the content, ensuring it adheres to the style guide and the grammar and punctuation are of its highest accuracy.
- I helped manage a small team of like-minded writers and give them feedback to develop their writing.
- Managing the Twitter/Facebook account for one day per month, interacting with audiences and promoting Kettle Mag.
- I wrote articles for the Culture, Theatre, Lifestyle, Health and Fashion Sections of the online magazine.
- I shared the published articles across my social media platforms.
- Pitched articles and any new features to the editors before I wrote them.
Northern Stage at the Edinburgh Festival Fringe July-August 2014
Generating audiences using digital and traditional marketing tools.
- Actively marketing the performances at the venue through word of mouth.
- Promoting the shows with flyers
- Using Social Media to promote the venue and the shows
- Assisting with colleagues in Northern Stage’s Communications and Sales Teams.
- Creating and developing effective marketing campaigns for the 10 core shows and
- additional events.
- Undertaking any other duties as reasonably requested by the Communications Manager or Operations Manager.
ITV Tyne Tees April – June 2016
Covering the EU Ref. at Blyth for ITV Tyne Tees on Thursday, June 23 2016.
- Using Social Media to update audiences.
- Covering the EU Ref. at Blyth for ITV Tyne Tees.
- Taking pictures when I was at the count location and sharing on social media.
- Emailing the pictures through to the ITV News Tyne Tees news desk.
- I shadowed presenters, sourced stories, wrote stories for ITV online and wrote to a deadline.
Work Experience with Hexham Courant in June 2015
Work Experience with Johnston Press North East June 2015-July 2015
Work Experience with Hexham Courant in October 2011
In my spare time, I like to go to the theatre and write in my latest blog, I love engaging in North East Arts and Culture. I completed the Duke of Edinburgh Award where I received a bronze certificate. I was awarded a Bronze Arts Award with Newcastle Gateshead Initiative as part of Juice Festival. I used to be a dancer and performed in my dance shows as part of Feet First Dance group in Prudhoe and Hexham.
Education & Qualifications
BA Journalism degree 2:1